Caledon Jewish Cemetery
Usually one of the first things that a Jewish community does is to purchase a burial ground, but in Caledon the baths must have kept the congregation healthy as they only got a cemetery quite late at an unknown date. By 1947 it contained only seven graves, with the last Jewish funeral taking place in 1955.
Earlier, Jews were buried in the Holy Trinity Churchyard or the bodies were sent to Cape Town. In 1995, the vacant section was given to the municipality in return for a commitment to look after the graves. A precast wall was erected around the graves two years later, once it was realised that the municipality was not doing so.
By clicking each surname in the table below, you will bring up a photograph of the gravestone. The table can be sorted in different ways by clicking on different column headings.
|Surname||First Names||Hebrew Name||Date of Death||Age||Spouse|
|BROWER||Aaron||Aharon b Yehuda Leib||1954-11-19||Golda Brower|
|BROWER||Golda||Golda b Idel||1955-09-03||Aaron Brower|
|FRANK||Israel||Yisrael b Kalman||1937-06-07|
|GOLDBERG||Abel||Abba b Ephraim||57|
|KIRSCHNER||Raphael Bernhard||Raphael Dov Ber b Bene||1938-03-18||55|