Links to some Southern African Jewish communities, where somebody is making a web presence
On this page you can click on a community to see what material has been assembled for each one listed, and see how you can navigate around the sites. Some are well structured so that there is a logical way to navigate them and find the information you are looking for. Others have posted interesting material in a fairly random fashion. If you have information to contribute about any of the listed communities please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will pass it on to the 'driver' of each community site.
|Brandfort||Faisia Shaskolsky||PDF book||2015|
|Cape Town: Jewish Cemeteries Board||Sam Galansky||2012|
|Cape Town: Marais Road Synagogue, Sea Point||Gwynne Schrire||Kaplan Centre, UCT||c2012|
|Cape Town: Miscellany||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2014|
|Cape Town: Muizenberg||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2013|
|Cape Town: Woodstock and Salt River||Juan-Paul Burke||SAJM Archives||2021|
|Cape Town: Northern Suburbs - Partners in primary care||Gail Loon Lustig||Kaplan Centre, UCT||2022|
|Cape: Western Cape synagogues||Steven Albert||Blog||2013|
|De Aar||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2015|
|Graaff Reinet||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2016|
|Johannesburg: Miscellany||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2015|
|Johannesburg: Wits Medical Graduates of 1960||Geraldine Auerbach / Wits Alumni Association||Mailchimp||2020|
|Kimberley||Geraldine Auerbach / Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2014|
|Port Elizabeth||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2014|
|Stellenbosch||Eli Rabinowitz / Gerald Potash||CHOL / KehilaLinks||2023|
|Vryburg: Community, family albums||Gary Sussman||Wix||2020|
|Vryburg: Miscellany||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2020|
|Maputo, Mozambique||Eli Rabinowitz||KehilaLinks||2017|
|Zimbabwe||Dave Bloom||2004, updated 2022|
If you are thinking of making a web presence for your community
Consensus seems to say that you might like to assemble your text and pictures under the following headings. For assistance, please contact us at email@example.com. We will be happy to get you started.
- Homepage – welcome / who you are / where the community is, etc.
- Timeline – from when Jews started to populate the area
- People – an A-Z directory of families or individuals linking to their own page if you have a family story
- Activities - here you can write about anniversaries, picnics weddings, bar- and bat-mitzvahs, theatricals, etc.
- Synagogue – the story of where and when Jews gathered for prayer
- Cemeteries – the grounds where they are buried
- Articles – printed and written articles about your town
- Updates – your communication with residents and ex-pats, if any
- Images – galleries of pictures if you have
- Contact – how people can get in touch with you
Please join the CHOL interactive email list to hear about meetings, workshops and other activities of CHOL – Community History On-Line (join by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave the subject line BLANK and in the message say: SUBSCRIBE CHOL followed by your First name and your Last name only (please delete any automatic signatures). Or contact email@example.com and we will add you to the list.